My portfolio is finally complete. The last step of this project is to evaluate what i have done and see what I should have spent more time on. The most important part of the evaluation process is to see what you might have overlooked and improve for the next project. No one does anything perfect, the most important thing is to learn from what you’ve done. The following are questions i established at the beginning of my project in the Investigate aspect of my portfolio.
1. I will test if the CD is compatible by putting it into the disk drive and then try the disk drives of my peers to see if it’s compatible no matter what type of computer.
2. Once the CD is in the disc drive I will begin to open the “portfolio”and see if it opens on the computer.
3. I will test if it is portable by bringing it with me in my bag wherever I may go and see if anything happens, in it’s case of course.
4. I will also test if it is durable by trying to bend a blank CD.
With the modern technology we have these days, cd-roms or USB’s are compatible with any computer. Also, with most art gallery owners and buyers they have the best computers/laptops money can buy the problem is just if they have InDesign program. The CD aspect wasn’t working for me at this point so i tested out my USB key on my computer at home and my portfolio opened, thankfully. This lead me to understand that even if i didnt have the program, my portfolio was still successfully opened.
Also, i carried my cd case with the usb inside it with me to school and left it in my bag all day. At the end of the day, it looked just like it did that same morning.
Lastly, I had already tried to break my cd and believe me it took a lot of force to finally get it to break. It will only break if its deliberate, but it wont break accidentally if you carry it around. Later, i also tried this with my USB key and unless you stomp on it or run it over with your car, it should be okay.
When all is said and done, i believe that my portfolio is better than those used today. Some people like the classic look of a big black briefcase/portfolio but with the use of technology these days, it would not only be easier to use this technique for the artist but also for the person observing the portfolio in question. With the technique i used its not only much easier to transport but you can make copies and hand them out to whoever, whereas with the other techniques you might only have one or two and you can diversify your clientele.
The plan I produced from the beginning needed some definite changes by the end of the portfolio creation. Various modifications and changes were done because sure you can plan what you want to do, but nothing ever goes as smoothly as you would like it too. so there were some unforseen changes but nothing too major. The name of my clothing line changed to Dollface along with my approach which was also modified from a cd to a USB key.
When i first started off i was still new to this topic and exactly what i was going to do, so i didnt know exactly how all my plans were going to work out. Overall, everything went pretty well. I’m very satisfied with my work and the look of my portfolio. If i had to do it all over again, i would definitely change some aspects of my layout and also give myself some more time to deal with any problems that could come up unexpectedly. That was really my biggest problem, not having enough time. I now know for anything else that I have to do in the future, always plan enough time in case things dont go exactly the way you had planned.
I’ve learned from not only this project, but from the previous one that its very important to plan and investigate everything a significant amount of time in advance so that you know exactly what your doing and how to do it.